The answer for ‘why you need a website?’ is though subjective, I can answer it in one word ‘indispensable’. Online identity i.e. having a company’s website and / or blog are very important business need(s) for a small business establishment to a large enterprise. This has been rightly recognized by the business houses and is quite evident from millions of websites present today.
However, small business owners are not able to rightly exploit the investment made on the website owing to (a) bad content, (b) duplicate content (c) bad design of website, (d) improper presentation of company’s service offerings or expertise, (e) poor hosting services and (f) nil maintenance. What is the result of such online identity? Bad representation and misrepresentation the company.
I would like to discuss here the important considerations to develop a website which can make your investment worthy.
The quality of web content is the most important thing:
Yes, you should ensure that you have right content for your website that would aptly represent the services you offer, the expertise you hold, the service delivery model you have in place. Remember your content should not be a borrowed content from any other Internet source. Such an approach would only make your presence redundant and you would not be faring well in search results. Moreover, it would be a copyright violation.
Website designing is all about your understanding of the user habits of navigation than rich graphics:
Most of the low priced website development companies develop your website using the free website templates from Internet source. Instead, you should ask them to develop a custom design for your company keeping in mind (a) the business sector you belong to (b) the service items you want to present online (c) the features you like to provide through your website i.e. for example you may like to have ‘real-time chat application’ for online support to your customers or to attract and deal with online sales calls, or video streaming of your Company’s profile, projects, achievements, employee statement about their experience with the Company or feedback of clients.
All such or any further features of your website should be properly designed with dynamic and scalable architecture considering the user friendly navigation, security, clarity and lastly an experience to the visitor of your website.
Online identity is like a perpetual racing competition:
Another important aspect that one should take note of before creating online identity through a Website, Internet Blog or / and Social Media profile(s) is introduction of your website or blog to your existing customers, prospective clients and to all relevant stakeholders. Website should never be considered as one time job. It should undergo frequent update of company developments, client acquisition, induction of new management members, if any, and more.
How do you announce your website to your customers and other stakeholders?
An important question, indeed. My suggestion in the context would be:
- Send email communication to all your present and prospective client(s) with the link of your website
- Create an official blog as a sub-domain or as a folder to your company’s domain. Make the blog content rich with information about your product, your team’s expertise, service and support issues, market trends, technology trends, stakeholder achievements and more. Share this link with all concerned on regular basis through email subscription or RSS feed.
- Create social media profile with links to your website and blog. Actively involve with your stakeholders reaching them with the data concerned to them.
- Ensure your website and blog addresses are printed on all the company’s stationery, marketing collateral, and announce your website in all the marketing announcements in conferences, presentations and campus interviews.
- Encourage your employees to participate in your blog and invite participation of their contacts wherever the product and your content would be relevant to the participants.
- Release small advertisements just with your website and blog addresses and telephone numbers on regular basis. This would not cost much and at the same time would educate people about your services. The advertisement so decided can be a simple content like: “Visit us for your business consulting services. www.blog.epmworld.in”
- Use moving media extensively to announce your website. It could be a collaborative advertisement where you will share the ad space of other advertiser like movie advertisement.
There could be many more approaches. However, you should consistently ensure that your website and blog are (a) available on 24x7x365 basis (b) no broken or dead links (c) you respond to each and every query from a website or blog visitor (d) you will honour whatever you propose through these channels. Most important again is the fact that your company’s team who respond to the enquiries of website must have thorough knowledge and coordination control on required actions.
I will highlight on the promotion through SEO again. Meanwhile you may also visit our other blog on social media.